If you are a fan of Chicken Shawarma, then you should try this “Chicken Shawarma Skewer Recipe” at your next party! It’s like a mini food station where everyone can help themselves and make their own Pita wrap. Flavorful and full of AMAZING Mediterranean spices! I guarantee everyone will LOVE it!😋
You can eat it anyway you like! You can wrap it, bowl it or even top it on your salad!
What is Shawarma?
It is a famous Middle Eastern street-food, where the marinated meat is slowly roasted on a rotating tall skewer at a high temperature. Then the outer layer of this sizzling meat is thinly sliced.
Finally, it is topped with a piece of lamb fat. which adds so much flavor and juiciness 😋
How to serve Shawarma?
The traditional way to eat the Shawarma is wrapped in a fresh pita or flatbread. Topped with middle eastern pickles, onions, tomatoes & sauce.
Chicken Shawarma is topped with garlic sauce and Beef Shawarma is topped with tahini sauce.
In modern days, you can also have Shawarma as a bowl (on a bed of rice, with the sauce & vegetables on top) or as a salad. Either way, the Shawarma is so flavorful and can be just eaten on its own!
What is the difference between Shawarma, Gyro & Turkish Doner?
They are all delicious slowly roasted meat on a rotating skewer then thinly sliced. The three of them are the kings of street-food! The major differences are the mixture of spices used in each, the topping sauce & bread. For example, the Greek Gyros are topped with tzatziki sauce.
The shawarma spices mix can be easily prepared at home, but I prefer buying it ready-made from the spice shop or grocery store. It cuts downtime and you don’t worry about messing with the measurements of each spice.
Here in the US, I get "Ziyad Premium Chicken Shawarma Spice Blend" and I really like it! (You can find it on Amazon)
My Grandma used to make her own Shawarma seasoning mix, which consists of:
- 1 tsp of Cumin, Turmeric, Coriander, Cloves & Allspice.
- Half tsp Cinnamon
- Half tsp of Nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of Sumac
Why this Chicken Shawarma is one of our favorite recipes
Other than the Shawarma’s amazing flavor! Simply, because you can marinade a big batch. Divide, freeze, and use it any time! How easy is that, right?
Try Serving it with the "Mediterranean Pearl Couscous Salad"
These are my Grandmother’s tips for the chicken Shawarma recipe
Chicken Thighs: I prefer using chicken thighs because it has more flavor and it tastes similar to the Shawarma we eat back home. But if you prefer to use Chicken Breast, that’s totally fine!
Chicken Thigh Skin: I know it may sound a bit weird, but I promise you’re your chicken shawarma will cook fast, be very moist, flavorful & juicy.
Giant Skewer: I found this Giant Skewer online, used it for the Shawarma recipe at a party, and BAM! Everyone loved the idea! 😋
Sumac: I add 1 tablespoon of Sumac spice to this recipe & it makes a huge difference in the taste.
- Try adding 1 tablespoon of Sumac to a mixture of “sliced red onions, Parsley, with a bit of lemon & olive oil” Mix, then add it to your Shawarma Pita wrap! It takes the sandwich to another level of yumminess! 😋
- If you are not familiar with Sumac - It comes from the dried berries of the Sumac flower and it has a tangy citrusy flavor.
Try this "Chicken Shawarma Skewer Recipe” in your next gathering! I guarantee everyone will love it 😋
THE BEST CHICKEN SHAWARMA SKEWER RECIPE
- 2 Pounds Boneless, skinless thighs
- ½ cup Plain Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons tablespoons Vinegar
- ½ big Lemon
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 big Diced onions
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 small whole onion to top the skewer
- 1 small Jalapeno to top the skewer- you can add a small tomato instead-
- 4 Pieces of Chicken Thighs skin (optional- enhances the flavor & helps cook fast)
- 3 Tablespoons Shawarma Seasoning mix
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
Step 1” Marinade”
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, garlic, vinegar, onion, lemon, shawarma spices, Sumac, salt, black pepper & Olive Oil. Mix well then set aside.
Step 2” Mix”
- Place the chicken in a large bowl, then add “step – the marinade mix”
- Mix well, cover. For best results refrigerate overnight or if in a hurry then refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours
Step 3” Assemble on the Skewer”
- Stack the chicken on the skewer, leaving a bit of room to add the small onion and jalapeno pepper. Cover with the chicken thigh skin.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes at 420 F. Remove the chicken thigh skin then reinsert it again in the oven for about 15 minutes till you get the golden color you like. (I like putting it on low broil for a couple of minutes, to get the crispy outer part. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t dry)
- Place it on a big board or platter, with vegetables, garlic sauce, pickles, and pita bread. Serve and enjoy!
- If you don’t have a giant skewer, another option is to insert 3-4 wooden skewers in a big potato to weigh it down in a fitted bowl. Then stack your chicken.
- You can skip the skewer part if you like, just grill it or bake it.
- The chicken skin is optional but I noticed it makes a big difference in the flavor & keeps it moist.
- You can make your own shawarma spices at home, but it’s easier & faster with the ready seasoning mix.
Yum, that looks delicious! I never thought to make this at home.
thank you so much, its a family favorite! Delicious and easy to make 😋
This sounds delicious! Went to Israel & this was a dish offered by most places. Nice dish!
It is really delicious and easy to make 😋
Holy crap my mouth was watering the whole time I’ve been reading through this recipe!!! I’m saving to try later. Thank you so much for this!
I am glad you liked it, it is a really easy and fun recipe to make 😋
That looks delicious 😋, my family will love it, I’ll definitely try it!!
i am glad you loved it
Cindy Mom, the Lunch Lady
OMG my family would go crazy over this! We absolutely love chicken shawarma wrapped in pitas! Thank you on teaching me how to make the giant skewer!
i am glad you loved it 🤩
This looks so delicious and I love the idea of making a food station for everyone to make their own pita wrap. Saving this one!
its the best for parties 😋
I love shawarma but I haven’t made it in ages! Your recipe looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.
it's easy to make and everyone loves it 😋
This looks so good. Thanks for sharing and will definitely give this a try.
This looks so good! I have never had chicken cooked this way before so I’m so excited to try it. I love chicken. Thanks for the wonderful tips!
I am glad you loved it, that's the best chicken recipe 😋
OMG, it is rare for me to crave meats, but I do now😄 All Romanians are crazy for shawarma, any meat. I tried all but still enjoy the chicken one the most. I just love it when lovely people provide me with dinner ideas together with the recipe, no need to search elsewhere! Thanks!
That's one of my family's favorite recipes, i am glad you loved it 😋
Loved your video. I never thought about making this at home. I tried a shawarma a few years ago while visiting Germany. It was amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much, i am glad you loved the chicken shawarma recipe 😋